Anyone can sit down and write fiction. But it’s hard to write good fiction. I sometimes find writing fiction harder than non-fiction. Since I’ve started writing creative non-fiction I’ve noticed that writing fiction definitely takes a lot longer.
So here’s a few tips that will hopefully help you out:
- To write fiction, I think one of the most important things to do is read it and read a lot of it to understand how it is written.
- Introduce your main characters and themes at the beginning of your novel so the reader gets a good understanding of the story.
- Start your story with tension, I know some people say start with action but I think writing with tension is good. Like your character falling short of something, failing to do something or being unable to be with the person they love.
- Know what your character wants. To create interesting and compelling characters it’s important to know what they want. If you don’t know what they want, I find just listening to what they have to say is a big help.
- Give your characters obstacles to overcome. Like before they can receive phenomenal power they must first go through a series of test or face a challenge in order to survive.